Mount Sion and Mount Moriah


Fr. Kentench gave the name Zion to this place as a reference to its biblical meaning – the house of God, priestly centre and unity for the people. Zion = Jerusalem = Holy City.

Father House (Vaterhaus)

This is the main house and headquarters for the General Directorate. It was built in 1992 and is a project by the Austrian architect, Franz D. Demblin.

The foundation stone consists of the original floor from the Original Shrine and the lintel above the MTA picture belonged to the window of the room in the Old House where Fr. Kentenich began the work of the Movement. The house chapel can be visited.

House belonging to the Adoration Fathers

Inaugurated in May 1980, its foundation stone expresses the Adoration Fathers’ raison d’être: “In medio Sion, ad laudem Gloriae” (in the heart of Zion, for the praise of his glory.) The priests who live here accompany the life of the Schoenstatt Family with their prayers.

They also offer courses and retreats on a life of prayer and contemplation.

In the house chapel, we can admire the picture of Mary which has been positioned in such a way that it is lit by natural light from sunrise (accompanied by Laudes) to sunset (accompanied by Vespers).

This house accommodates men who wish to make a spiritual retreat.

Province House (Provinzhaus)

This is the German Province house and also operates as the novitiate. It was inaugurated in 1974. The house chapel can be visited.

Zion Shrine

The Zion shrine was blessed on 30 August 1970. Its foundation stone comes from the first St. Peter’s church in Rome during the time of Constantine. Pope Paul VI blessed it in Rome.


Moriah is the mountain where Abraham should have sacrificed his son, Isaac. In the light of the New Testament, it represents Jesus who offers himself so that we might have life, and have it in abundance.

The Priests’ House on Moriah (Haus Moriah)

The house and its shrine are a meeting place, the centre and the heart of all the priests belonging to the Institute and the Apostolic League of Diocesan Priests.

The Institute was founded by Fr. Kentenich shortly after returning from the Dachau concentration camp, on 18 October 1945.

This house was inaugurated in 1980. Haus Moriah also houses two memorials that are worth a visit: the rock in the entrance hall and the Dachau Altar.

The rock is a symbol for God who is active in the history of Schoenstatt and the four most transcendental moments in the Movement’s history (18 October 1914, 20 January 1942, 31 May 1949 and 22 December 1965) are represented on it. The water flows from the fountain and is lost in the 12 cracks. This is a symbol for the world: a priestly giving of self should reach all corners of the world. This rock is the house’s foundation stone.

The altar from Barrack 26 belonging to the priests in Dachau: The altar and tabernacle were built by the prisoners themselves. Many priests met together everyday around this altar when they were permitted to celebrate the Eucharist. A year after arriving Dachau, Fr. Kentenich was able to celebrate Mass again (19-03-1943). The beatified Karl Leisner was ordained a priest at this altar (17-12-1944). In order to approach the altar, one must climb a small step that is part of the staircase the prisoners had to climb to enter the barrack. Fr. Kentenich was in this barrack.

The house is available for conferences and meetings. It mainly accommodates priests who wish to visit Schoenstatt.

Moriah Shrine

The shrine was the first building to be erected on this hill (1976). It foundation stone includes a stone brought from Rome, close to St. Peter’s tomb and blessed by Pope Paul VI, and the other is a stone from the Mother Shrine.